Sunday 27 March 2011

Pre-Trip Part 2 – The Goal

To follow on from my first post I wanted to point out that I have not been sitting on my hands before or since funding cuts were announced. With the support of Business SA and some amazing companies (I will list them at the end of this series when finalised) the program will very likely continue next financial year. My aim is to make it stronger and better to ensure it stays around for many years to come which leads us back to the task at hand…
When filling out the Churchill application form I made a list of places I would like to visit overseas and chose 8 successful programs as examples. Since that time arguably the biggest of them has lost 60% of their funding (government cut) and another has closed down entirely. Clearly the issue of program sustainability runs deep which makes the study all the more worthwhile.

The mentor base and networks associated with SAYES have been a massive help in re-working and extending the contact list. A huge thankyou to you all! I now have a great starting list and I am sure there will be plenty of referrals along the way.
The questions are many but a starting list might be:
·         Who has a vested interest in seeing businesses succeed?
·         What kinds of revenue streams support programs around the world?
·         What kinds of people and businesses want/need the help?
·         What are the success rates and how are they measured?
·         Or, since business is commercial by its very nature should it just look after itself?
The question that remains of most interest to me is 'how do we make entrepreneurial support programs sustainable?'
Some of these answers are going to depend on the people seeking help and the types of businesses to be created. Through discussions with world experts I hope to shine some light into the corners.
First stop (4th April)… London, England.

1 comment:

  1. Not long to go now Dan - goodluck I can't wait to hear/read all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Please add comments, questions or suggestions below...